Have you ever wondered what celebrities do to grow, cut, and bleach their hair overnight without damaging their beautiful tresses? For us, cutting our hair means that we won’t be able to wear it in a bun for many months. If we bleach our hair, we have to wait for our hair to recover from the dye and then reapply another one within 3 months. But the stars can do it without a hitch, from one event to the next. How do they do it? Well, by pure logic, the answer to these radical changes of look is hair extensions.
These applications can be used to lengthen the hair, even to add more voluptuousness to our hair. We can also use them to add different shades of color to our natural hair. They are an immediate solution for women or men with thinning or short hair, and for people who have decided to cut their hair but want to regain a little more length.
It is normal to have many doubts when entering this new world of hair extensions. Among the frequently asked questions, we can see: which ones to choose, how to use them, what effects they will have on our hair and above, all that are the differences between those that are fixed on the basis of a seam, or those that are applied on the basis of clips or external fasteners.
Hair wefts or sewn in extensions:
Sewn-in extensions, as the name dictates, have a seam on the outside at the top of the curtain. The stitching can be done by hand from a frame or on a specialized machine/press. This is responsible for adjusting small strands of our hair little by little.
The thickness or width of the hair weft should be as thin as possible depending on the measurements of each part of the person’s head. If we take a size that is not suitable for our scalp we run the risk that the thickness will show the seams, therefore the effect of natural hair will be completely lost.
- Advantages of hair wefts:
- They protect the natural hair as it remains between the folds of the extension; therefore it is not manipulated and does not affect its growth. So it acts as a protective layer that will protect the original hair.
- You can use multiple common hair treatments such as hair coloring, perming, etc. Even apply keratin to straighten it.
- The application is relatively fast; one hairline takes about 15 minutes. Applying it to the entire head takes approximately one to two full hours. Although it looks quite extensive, there are few types of placement that last less than 4 hours.
- They are easy to remove, as you only have to break the thread with which the whole hair seam has proceeded and undo the braid. This takes about half an hour as the extensions have not been in place for long and need to be fixed.
- Their maintenance is easy, as they only need patience as they cost a little more to dry than a natural one. And they are not difficult to differentiate.
- They do not affect or interfere with the texture of natural hair. Sewn-in extensions do not stick to the hair in any way, nor do they intermingle with the natural hair.
Disadvantages of hair wefts.
- Because of their fairly hard hold, they can cause headaches or scalp discomfort in the first week.
- They should be touched up every half a week to avoid damage and complications.
- They tangle and create hair knots at the root very easily, more so than normal hair.
- They can only be placed by someone with experience, as they run the risk of being badly fixed if we trust anyone who decides to apply them.
Seamless extensions or clip-in extensions
In the field of no-sew extensions, there are many, many types. But the most commonly used are the clip-in type. If you are not convinced of the commitment that comes with applying fixed extensions to your hair and all the care that goes into it, it is one of the best options on the market. These come for hair wefts of a high thickness to make them easier to use, although we can find them in all sizes, models, and even for certain parts of the hair.
- Advantages of clip-in extensions:
- Their application is easy, as they contain an adhesive clip that intuitively adjusts to the hair immediately, which you can do alone or with the help of a hairdresser. This is totally optional.
- They are totally affordable for any economic status, so if you are on a lower budget but need them to enhance your look, you can easily buy them and apply them.
- A single package contains multiple clips; in total they can carry about 10 to 12 clips in different thicknesses and heights, to fit the various hair types all over the head.
- Disadvantages of clip-in or removable extensions:
- If the hair is not strong enough it can tend to break, so it is important to have moisturized and well-groomed hair to avoid accidents. Fragile hair does not tolerate this type of treatment.
Which of the different types of hair extensions are recommended?
Each application technique is an excellent choice depending on your hair type and the technique used to apply them. For this, the professional should do an examination prior to application to determine which is the most advantageous to use. For fine hair, clip-in or removable extensions are recommended. And for thicker and harder hair, the direct sewing or knot technique is more recommended, since they will not break easily during application.
Between the two, the most diverse for all types of hair is the clip-in, as it does not maintain any type of inconvenience at the time of its application either by the delicacy of the hair or its thickness.
It is important to first go to a specialist to see which extensions suit you best, whether they are clip-in, sewn in, or keratin extensions. You run the risk of using something that is not made for your hair type.